Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Wednesday, Already?!

Hello world! Pardon my absence, but the last week has been such a whirlwind. First things first, I have to talk about the Table Mountain Powwow! Last week was almost entirely spent working on my dress. I still am not sure how I finished the entire thing on my own (mom did come over to show me how to sew on my sleeves and add a zipper, but it was limited to her pointing and looking over my shoulder a few times) given that I'm not exactly a master sewer.

I've sewn a number of things (a couple of laptop sleeves based on One Yard Wonders, a couple of yoga mat bags, a lady bug costume and of course hemming pants) but I've never accomplished such a task before. I somehow, without trying, didn't stress over it either - which is way out of character for me. While making the dress, I thought a lot about the importance of what I was doing. I thought about how sewing is in my blood. I thought "I've never made this before, I don't know how I know what to do next but I just do," and when I'd pause and lift my foot from the sewing machine pedal to question if it would turn out right (something I do quite a bit) I'd think, or something would tell me "just keep going, it's going to turn out right."

I could go on talking about this for a very long time, but I'm sure this isn't the place for it. The weekend was really great, spent with my family and dancing with my aunt for the first time since I was little. Stephanie, Emily and Lucia even came out on Friday night! So that was my entire Friday, Saturday and Sunday.



OH, and I'm very, very, very excited to say that I'm going back to see my family in Montana in August! I haven't been since I was probably in like fourth or fifth grade. As I've said before, I'm Crow (Apsaalooke) and we're around Montana. The third weekend in August is Crow Fair, a really huge powwow and rodeo with hundreds and hundreds of dancers. Everybody camps out in tents and tipis, so many people that it's nicknamed the "Tipi Capital of the World!" The scenery and lifestyle there is really amazing. (I feel like a kid who gets to go to Disneyland!)

The days since Sunday have been spent tending to everything I ignored last week: laundry, cleaning, groceries, laundry, ironing, and laundry. Now, back to all of that.

1 comment:

Missa said...

WOW. Your dress is amazing (impressive job!) and you look really beautiful wearing it :)